WINTER ACTIVITIESINDOORS AND OUT
If you're looking for a unique winter experience, Magoebaskloof is the perfect destination for all ages with many exciting winter activities to choose from. So pack your warm clothes and get ready for an unforgettable adventure! Magoebaskloof, with Haenertsburg at its heart, is a wonderland of nature's beauty to be enjoyed on horseback, from the saddle of your mountain-bike or sailing through the air on ziplines suspended high above waterfalls cascading into the gorge below. In winter, you can also opt for pampering treatments indoors instead.
Haenertsburg lies tucked into the slumbering spine of the rocky mountainside with soaring peaks and crystal-clear streams cutting sparkling swathes through the granite grassland below. Magoebaskloof is the doorway to a vast indigenous forest with ancient trees protected within a deep valley. Roots to Rivers is perfect for all the outdoors and adventurous types who come to the area for birding, hiking, biking and a multitude of other activities like fly-fishing, trail-running, horse-riding and adventure sports but there are also options for pottery classes, beer-tasting, reflexology or retail therapy on a chilly winter’s day .
One of the most popular winter activities in Magoebaskloof is hiking. With its rugged terrain, stunning views, and beautiful forests, Magoebaskloof is a hiker's paradise. There are many trails to choose from, ranging from easy meanders to more challenging treks. At Magoebaskloof Adventures, adrenaline junkies can soar through the treetops at high speeds, taking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and forests. This thrilling activity is sure to get your heart racing but you could also try abseiling, kloofing, hiking and tree hop. For kids from 7 to 12, book in with Mad Rabbit Adventures for Kids' Adventure Days, high-rope tree climb, interactive forest hike or kids' zipline. Just out of Haenertsburg, Noko Resort offers hiking, quad-biking and outdoor fitness days.
The cooler weather is perfect to enjoy the network of Mountain Bike trails through the picturesque farms around the new Sports Village and Cheerio Road or try a more technical route on single-track forestry roads and through mountain passes. If you prefer to meander rather than zoom, book out an e-bike at Cheerio Gardens or hire a bicycle to explore Waterwheel Resort in George's Valley. On a mild winter’s day, choose for an hourly or multi-day trail with In the Company of Horses at Houtbosdorp or visit the Silver Mist Arabian stud farm. Book Bird Guides, David Letsoalo and Paul Nkhumane to go birding in Woodbush Forest.
Whether you choose for an outdoor adventure, a slow food experience in one of the local restaurants or a peaceful pampering, you can end your day in one of the many warm and welcoming accommodation venues scattered throughout Magoebaskloof, tucked up next to a log fireplace. So escape to the Magoebaskloof mountains this winter.
- Magoebaskloof Adventures & Canopy Tours (083 866 1546)
Canopy Tour, tubing, kloofing, abseiling and a tree hop. (R528 / GV road)
- Mad Rabbit Adventures (083 706 9560) Kids Adventure Days: hike, high rope tree climb, abseil & kids zipline. (R71)
- Noko Resort (086 380 7593)
Hiking trail, outdoor fitness days, paint-ball & quad-biking. (R71)
- Cheerio Trout Fishing & Holiday Resort (072 650 2366) L road
- Mountain Fly Fishing (083 255 7817) N road
- Waterwheel Country Resort (074 024 6519) R528 GV road
- Silver Mist Resort (015 295 9901| 063 117 2629) near Haenertsburg.
EBENEZER DAM CRUISES (083 284 5163 / 072 178 1602)
Woodbush Forest Drive is world-renowned for spectacular forest birding. Bird Guides: David Letsoalo (083 568 4678) or Paul Nkhumane (084 354 9710)
- Silver Mist Resort (015 295 9901) Al-Miqdad Arabian horses. (R71)
- In the Company of Horses (076 577 1936) Various horseback experiences. (Q road).
- Manely Equine (064 122 5895) Enjoy Haenertsburg on horseback.
- Erika Hagens (083 977 6656) Shetland pony ride around Haenertsburg.
- Magoebaskloof Mountain Biking (083 453 1514) family routes to adrenaline-filled tracks.
- Cheerio Gardens (083 355 0835) E-bikes available. (L road)
- Waterwheel Country Retreat (081 048 4841) bikes for hire on their spectacular property. (GV road)
HIKES & WALKING TRAILS
- Swartbos Trail. The Picturesque 3.8 km route starts at Magoebaskloof Hotel through the indigenous forests of the Magoebaskloof gorge. (1 hour 45 mins).
- Makgeng Hiking Trail (email@example.com) 12km, 9km or 3.3km Abundant fauna, flora & great views from the mountain top. (R71)
- Schultz Trails (076 968 0483) Hiking / running trails on a working coffee farm. (R71)
- Louis Changuion Trail Through the Haenertsburg Grassland Nature Reserve and indigenous forest. (10km route / 3 to 4 hours)
- Debengeni Waterfall At the bottom of Woodbush Forest (R71). Small entrance fee for scenic short walks around the falls. (no braais or swimming)
- Magoebaskloof Adventures (083 866 1546) 1 to 2 hour trails past waterfalls & rapids in the Letaba Gorge (R528 / GV road).
- Growth Centre (072 277 4809) Guided stroll for kids through indigenous forest. R71. By appointment.
- Waterwheel Country Retreat (081 048 4841) Walk / cycle on marked trails in beautiful forests along the river. (GV road)
- Cheerio Gardens / Café (083 355 0835) Walk the paths of these world-famous gardens. (L road)
- Sequoia Garden Retreat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Day walks by prior arrangement. (L road)
- Otterholt Farm (076 418 1238) 3.5km Meander trail; Mushroom tours & Essential Oils tours. (L road)
- The Growth Centre (072 277 4809) Foot Massage, Reiki and Reading of Feet. (R71)
- Circle of Healing & Mystic Mountain Essential Oils (083 953 8010) Crystal massage. - Zwakala Brewery (073 874 8651) Beer-tasting of award-winning beers. (L road)
- Krabbefontein Café (076 968 0483) Coffee, Beer & Gin tasting. (R71)
- Wegraakbosch Organic Farm (072 370 1886 l 072 361 0664) Book Cheese tours.
- Ga-Malahlela Village Experience (084 354 9710) A unique cultural experience.
- Earth Creations Studio (083 259 8427) Pottery, painting and mosaic classes.
- The Glass Art Studio (082 335 6803) Exclusive glass creations. (R71)
- Earth by Nature (082 802 4178) A shopping experience to satisfy all your senses.
- The Pennefather Complex (078 417 9088) Antiques, bookshop, gifts, clothing, sweets, coffee shop.