SPRING ACTIVITIES OUT AND ABOUT IN MAGOEBASKLOOF
As the cold grip of winter loosens its hold, nature awakens in a kaleidoscope of vibrant colours and fragrant, balmy days during the enchanting season of spring in Magoebaskloof and surrounds. With its breathtaking landscapes and a plethora of outdoor activities, this hidden gem beckons visitors to immerse themselves in the joy and exuberance of springtime. From exhilarating hikes through lush forests to thrilling mountain biking trails, from birding or peaceful horseback outrides to adrenaline-pumping adventures, Magoebaskloof offers a whole range of experiences for all ages. The area's famous Spring gardens provide a tapestry of blooming flowers and fragrant blossoms, colouring every day with captivating delights. If you want to opt for pampering treatments instead, you have many options for a soul-refreshing experience. Magoebaskloof is a springtime haven, where the very air seems infused with the exhilaration and hope that only this season can bring.
Haenertsburg lies tucked into the slumbering spine of the rocky mountainside with soaring peaks and crystal-clear streams cutting sparkling swathes through the granite grassland below. Magoebaskloof is the doorway to a vast indigenous forest with ancient trees protected within a deep valley. Roots to Rivers is perfect for all the outdoors and adventurous types who come to the area for birding, hiking, biking and a multitude of other activities like fly-fishing, trail-running, horse-riding and adventure sports but there are also options for pottery classes, beer-tasting, reflexology or retail therapy on a misty mountain day .
One of the most popular Springtime activities in Magoebaskloof is visiting the floral display at Cheerio Gardens, Sequoia Garden Retreat or Kuhestan Organic Farm, as well as the Spring Festival at the Magoebaskloof Hotel and Haenertsburg Village. Once you have filled up on food, fun and festivities, you can pack a picnic and head for the hills… or the mountain tops… the forests or waterfalls. On a sun-shiney day, the sky’s the limit. With its rugged terrain, stunning views, and beautiful forests, Magoebaskloof is a hiker's paradise. There are many trails to choose from, ranging from easy meanders to more challenging treks.
At Magoebaskloof Adventures, adrenaline junkies can soar through the treetops at high speeds, taking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and forests. This thrilling activity is sure to get your heart racing but you could also try abseiling, kloofing, hiking and tree hop. For kids from 7 to 12, book in with Mad Rabbit Adventures for Kids' Adventure Days, high-rope tree climb, interactive forest hike or kids' zipline. Just out of Haenertsburg, Noko Resort offers hiking, quad-biking and outdoor fitness days.
The balmy weather is perfect to enjoy the network of Mountain Bike trails through the picturesque farms around the new Sports Village and Cheerio Road or try a more technical route on single-track forestry roads and through mountain passes. If you prefer to meander rather than zoom, book out an e-bike at Cheerio Gardens or hire a bicycle to explore Waterwheel Resort in George's Valley. On a spectacular spring day, choose for an hourly or multi-day trail with In the Company of Horses at Houtbosdorp or visit the Silver Mist Arabian stud farm. Book Bird Guides, David Letsoalo and Paul Nkhumane to go birding in Woodbush Forest.
Whether you choose for an outdoor adventure, a slow food experience in one of the local restaurants or a peaceful pampering at Nōka River Retreat and Spa, you can end your day in one of the many warm and welcoming accommodation venues scattered throughout Magoebaskloof, bursting with springtime blossoms. So why not escape to the Magoebaskloof mountains this Spring.
MOUNTAIN GETAWAYS ACTIVITIES FOR SPRING
EBENEZER DAM CRUISES (083 284 5163 / 072 178 1602)
SHORT WALKS & GARDENS
- Cheerio Gardens / Café (083 355 0835) Walk the paths of these world-famous gardens. (L road)
- Sequoia Garden Retreat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Day walks by prior arrangement. (L road)
- Otterholt Farm (076 418 1238) 3.5km Meander trail; Mushroom tours & Essential Oils tours. (L road)
- Growth Centre (072 277 4809) Guided stroll for kids through indigenous forest. R71. By appointment.
- Waterwheel Country Retreat (081 048 4841) Walk / cycle on marked trails in beautiful forests along the river. (GV road)
Woodbush Forest Drive is world-renowned for spectacular forest birding. Bird Guides: David Letsoalo (083 568 4678) or Paul Nkhumane (084 354 9710)
- In the Company of Horses (076 577 1936) Various horseback experiences. (Q road)
- Silver Mist Resort (015 295 9901) Al-Miqdad Arabian horses. (R71)
- Manely Equine (064 122 5895) Enjoy Haenertsburg on horseback.
- Erika Hagens (083 977 6656) Shetland pony ride around Haenertsburg.
- Magoebaskloof Mountain Biking (083 453 1514) family routes to adrenaline-filled tracks.
- Cheerio Gardens (083 355 0835) E-bikes available. (L road)
- Waterwheel Country Retreat (081 048 4841) bikes for hire on their spectacular property. (GV road)
- Magoebaskloof Adventures & Canopy Tours (083 866 1546)
Canopy Tour, tubing, kloofing, abseiling and a tree hop. (R528 / GV road)
- Mad Rabbit Adventures (083 706 9560) Kids Adventure Days: hike, high rope tree climb, abseil & kids zipline. (R71)
- Noko Resort (086 380 7593)
Hiking trail, outdoor fitness days, paint-ball & quad-biking. (R71)
- Mountain Fly Fishing (083 255 7817) N road
- Cheerio Trout Fishing & Holiday Resort (072 650 2366) L road
- Waterwheel Country Resort (074 024 6519) R528 GV road
- Silver Mist Resort (015 295 9901| 063 117 2629) near Haenertsburg.
HIKES & WALKING TRAILS
- Swartbos Trail. The Picturesque 3.8 km route starts at Magoebaskloof Hotel through the indigenous forests of the Magoebaskloof gorge. (1 hour 45 mins).
- Makgeng Hiking Trail (email@example.com) 12km, 9km or 3.3km Abundant fauna, flora & great views from the mountain top. (R71)
- Schultz Trails (076 968 0483) Hiking / running trails on a working coffee farm. (R71)
- Louis Changuion Trail Through the Haenertsburg Grassland Nature Reserve and indigenous forest. (10km route / 3 to 4 hours)
- Debengeni Waterfall At the bottom of Woodbush Forest (R71). Small entrance fee for scenic short walks around the falls. (no braais or swimming)
- Magoebaskloof Adventures (083 866 1546) 1 to 2 hour trails past waterfalls & rapids in the Letaba Gorge (R528 / GV road).
- Nōka River Retreat and Spa (065 513 6006) A space of healing & relaxation. (L road)
- The Growth Centre (072 277 4809) Foot Massage, Reiki and Reading of Feet. (R71)
- Circle of Healing & Mystic Mountain Essential Oils (083 953 8010) Crystal massage. - Zwakala Brewery (073 874 8651) Beer-tasting of award-winning beers. (L road)
- Krabbefontein Café (076 968 0483) Coffee, Beer & Gin tasting. (R71)
- Wegraakbosch Organic Farm (072 370 1886 l 072 361 0664) Book Cheese tours.
- Ga-Malahlela Village Experience (084 354 9710) A unique cultural experience.
- Earth Creations Studio (083 259 8427) Pottery, painting and mosaic classes.
- The Glass Art Studio (082 335 6803) Exclusive glass creations. (R71)
- The Pennefather Complex (078 417 9088) Antiques, bookshop, gifts, clothing, sweets, coffee shop.